4.11.2007

Ringside


I recently had the privelege of shooting a Friday Night Boxing event in downtown. Not the big time stuff mind you, just the scrappers, with only near a thousand people in attendance. It was pure bliss. I wasn't prepared at all this time for what shooting boxing would entail (easily the most difficult thing i have ever shot), but next time i will be ready.

The event oozed concepts i have been dealing with in my work for some time now. I guess some would see the whole thing as an exercise in machismo -which would be true if only given a quick look from some far away perspective. But really, the vulnerability hits hardest.




























5 comments:

Anonymous said...

reminds me of the opening in the original "rocky" movie. and feminine. male bonding.

amazing.

p.s. the guy counting the movie -- michael douglas movie in the making.

Amey said...

Boxing is indeed very interesting. Horrible and human and inhumane. I dabbled in boxing in college, until I found yoga. Yoga ended up being a more healthy fit for me.

I can defintely see how it would resonate with the various issues you've been working with - very interesting.

Steven LaRose said...

freaks me out - boxing does.
I love the super-hero images.
I hate pain.
I "laughed out loud" with your "more" and "less" prompting.
I found myself thinking of grocery store check-out clerks.
craft in any discipline is admirable?

Angela Rose Voulgarelis said...

Geoffrey I love the concepts you have been working with, and really admire the depth with which you are creating. It really reminds me that there is no separation between (media, ideas, etc)...that the resonance one has can translate to whatever one is doing, making, thinking about.

Keep it up I'm so happy for you

highlowbetween said...

nice picture. would like to see more. I friend used to cover local boxig in Philly. It was powerful stuff. The thing that stayed with him more than the competition was all the "backstage" manipulations by lawyers and money men. These guys were just meat to be molded for some change but the boxers rose above that in the ring if only for a moment.